OLF Conference connects the open source community under one roof. OLF have never failed to deliver any home and relish the challenge of refurbishing and building country homes. The Brethren in Christ Church has operated a home for Native school children in Timber Bay (northern Saskatchewan). The General Conference have one at Swift Current; the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren had one at Dalmeny, and the Mennonite Brethren one at Herbert, founded in 1913, and Bethany Bible Institute at Hepburn. Swift Current (1904). They established 29 villages in the two reserves. Group homes are serving youth and handicapped people in Saskatoon and Swift Current. After World War II a new stream of immigrants to Canada set in when J. J. Thiessen of Saskatoon was chairman of the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization which had moved to the city of Saskatoon. The new wave of Mennonite emigrants from Russia from 1923 to 1930 filled many of the vacant farms left by the Latin American immigrants. Those who made up this group of immigrants had suffered through the dispersion in the Soviet Union and other effects of World War II.
The pressures Mennonites felt in Manitoba and other parts of the world brought many settlers, beginning in the 1890s, to what became Saskatchewan. The 1920s brought compulsory elementary school education to Saskatchewan, and approx. The Canadian leader of this immigration was David Toews, elder of the Rosenort Mennonite Church in Saskatchewan, who was living in Rosthern. In 1951 the Invalid Home in Herbert, South Saskatchewan, was built by the Youth Farm. Home care community-based services for seniors have also been available through province-wide services. In 1944 the Invalid Home was opened on the Youth Farm and in 1955 had 80 patients in two separate buildings. There were two major sources for the major uptick in refugee flows in the last three decades. Besides these there were four Bible schools. We should not be surprised that many times there are people, circumstances and events that will seem to pressurize us and put us behind. The MCC relief sales in Saskatoon and Swift Current have become important annual events. Many had fled to western Germany at the end of the war, and upon arrival in Canada, settled mainly in the existing Mennonite communities and in the larger cities, particularly Saskatoon. Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) Saskatchewan has become a strong unifying force in the Mennonite communities.
Many Saskatchewan Mennonites have also served as volunteers internationally through MCC. Since World War II increasing numbers of Mennonites have entered professions such as nursing, teaching, and social work. Large numbers entered the trades and worked in the cities. The latest congregation is the Rudnerweide Church near Osler and Hague. These have included Rosthern Junior College (high school), Bethany Bible Institute (MB), and the Swift Current Bible Institute (GCM), which closed in 1996. An elementary school was developed by the Saskatchewan Bergthal community (Sommerfeld Mennonites) in Osler. In 1903 Mennonites (General Conference Mennonite) of Rosthern and surrounding districts gathered in Eigenheim, near Rosthern, to consider the question of establishing a Mennonite high school. Members of the Mennonite Church (MC) settled at Guernsey, some Mennonite Brethren settled at Woodrow and Fox Valley, a General Conference community emerged at Drake, and a Sommerfeld group was established at Carrot River. Schools have been developed by both the General Conference Mennonites (GCM) and the Mennonite Brethren (MB) since shortly after their arrival. The General Conference maintained a bookstore at Rosthern. Settlements of Mennonite Brethren, General Conference Mennonites, Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (now the Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches, and Krimmer Mennonite Brethren were also established.
Canadian Conference General Conference Mennonite, over 7,000; Mennonite Brethren, 4,000; Bergthaler (statistics of individual congregations not available), 3,000; Old Colony, 1,000; Mennonite Church , one near Guernsey 136; the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren two at Waldheim and Langham, 175, and others. Most of these groups settled in districts adjoining or in close proximity to the two reserves. The Rosenort Mennonite Church of Saskatchewan in 1954 divided into two churches. It had 11 districts and had the names of the United Mennonite Church (Rosthern, Osler, Laird, olymp trading review and Horse Lake) and the Rosenort Mennonite Church of Saskatchewan (Tiefengrund, Hague, Hochfeld, Neuanlage, Aberdeen, Garthland, and Capasin). In addition, the surrounding rural area north to Rosthern, NW to Borden, SW to Herschel, east to Aberdeen, and south to Hanley made the general Saskatoon area a very concentrated inter-Mennonite community. In 1945 the Elim Gospel Beach in South Saskatchewan was bought. In the winter of 1943-1944 the Experimental Farm with 640 acres was bought by the Youth Organization of Saskatchewan. In 1955 this Farm had about 30 cows and supplied the town of Rosthern with pasteurized milk.